Wednesday, August 23, 2006

What's So Special?

So any idea what's so special about this picture? Click for a larger image if you're confused. Go ahead, I'll wait...

For those of you who are still confused, I'm running Windows on my Mac mini! You might wonder why this is significant, besides the fact that it's cool. Well, first, duh, it's cool! Second, I need to run both Mac OS and Windows at work, and I can now do both on the same computer at the same time, without rebooting the computer! And third, hey, did I mention it's cool? What this means to me is that I no longer have to tote both my mini and my laptop to work. I can leave my laptop at home, which is good since my laptop weighs nearly 20 lbs once you figure in all the weight of cables, backpack, etc.

For anyone out there interested, the application is called Parallels Desktop and in theory will allow me to run any Intel-based OS on my mini (though I haven't tried anything else yet). The down side is that you still need to own a license for Windows, one does not come with Parallels. But, for what I do, this is really peachy keen.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, so the non-tech person doesn't totally get how two operating systems can co-exist, but I do totally get not having to haul two computers to work. Woohoo!

Darrin said...

one word: sweeeeeeeeeeeet!

Anonymous said...

Damn, I'm jealous. I've been an Apple guys since forever (first computer was an Apple II) and been using Macs in 1987 (that really dates me).

Now you young whipersnaper (only 2 months, but still...), get to go all Mac Geeky on me. :-P

Someday maybe I'll be able to get and Intel Mac.

--ken

Bald Man Tom said...

"Whippersnapper" <giggle> I haven't been called that in years :)

I gotta say that the Intel mac is pretty sweet. It's very zippy, and the flexibility of having the additional OS is very nice.

Out of curiousity, why would an Apple guy care about having Windoze on the Mac OS? I mean, it makes those of us who have had to use Windoze more comfortable, but you really aren't missing anything, are you? I mean, it's not like it'll run Neverwinter Nights or anything...