Thursday, August 24, 2006

A Lesson In Humility

I mentioned in a previous post that I was going to volunteer to play bass for a church that Amelia and I have been recently attending. Tonight was my first rehearsal with them.

I sucked. Royally.

I think I may have played worse the very first time I picked up a bass. If so, it wasn't by much. Now, granted, I've never been a good bass player, I've only ever hacked around. But tonight was just awful. I didn't feel on the spot, though, because most people just ignored me. The worst thing is that I know they heard me. The leader gave me the forced smile, "boy, you're doing pretty good for not having played in three years" talk afterward which told me all I needed to know about my playing, as if I needed any confirmation.

Not sure how my self confidence could get any worse at this point, however, so I guess the only way to go at this point is up.

3 comments:

rebecca said...

oh no. I'm sure it will get better! Was it at least fun to play again?

Bald Man Tom said...

It was really weird. I wanted to enjoy it, but I didn't. Maybe it's because of how bad I think I played, maybe it's because I didn't feel I fit in with the other musicians, but I didn't have any fun at all. But, I'm going to keep trying. I've been taking guitar lessons lately, and my instructor also teaches bass, so I think I'm going to work some bass lessons in there. We'll see. First experience was pretty miserable, though...

Darrin said...

Hang in there man. I'd hate to hear how bad I am on the drums since I haven't played in about 2 years. Don't worry. It'll all come back to you.