Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Overnight Oatmeal

Back in the day, I never thought I liked oatmeal. Probably because I never had it, or I never had it done right. However, Alton Brown of Good Eats fame showed me the joy of oats done right. Instead of using the insipid rolled oats, he makes his oatmeal from steel cut oats, also called Irish oats, Scottish oats, or pinhead oats. The problem always was that it takes anywhere from 30-45 minutes to make, so I couldn't have my oats most mornings. But, I found an overnight recipe somewhere along my cullinary travels and modified it for my own evil... errr... selfish purposes (for all his wonders, Alton's crock pot method doesn't work for me). I still don't eat it often, since it's a little heavy to have before a workout, but on days I don't work out, it's wonderful. I shall now share my wisdom with you.

Overnight Oats Done Right
Serving Size: 1

Ingredients:
1/4 c oats (steel cut oats, NOT ROLLED OATS!!!)
A smidgen of butter/margarine
3/4 c water
1/4 c (or less) milk
1/3 c dried fruit

Method:
1. Bring the water to a boil.
2. While the water is coming to temperature, melt your smidgen of butter in a small saucepan.
3. Once the butter is melted, add the oats to the saucepan and toast lightly.
4. Once the water has reached a boil, pour into the oats and remove the oats from heat.
5. Cover the oats tightly, and let stand overnight.
6. In the morning, add the milk and dried fruit to the oats.
7. Cover the oats tightly, and cook over medium to medium-high heat until they reach your preferred consistency.

I personally like my oats a smidge on the dry side, so I usually leave them on the heat for 10-15 minutes. You might like your oats a little soupier, so adjust your cooking time accordingly.

Enjoy!

No comments: