Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Guitar Lessons

A few weeks ago, I played and sang for the wedding of a friend back home in NE OH. The singing went as well as ever, maybe better, but I was sickened by my guitar playing. Now, I've never been terribly strong, though I can usually strum my way through well enough. Unfortunately, the song I played required finger picking, and I failed miserably. So, I've decided to do something about it. I'm going to try guitar lessons once again.

I took lessons once before, right after I moved to central Ohio. I think I gave my instructor the wrong impression of a) my skills and b) my intent, because the only instruction I got in three months was "explore your guitar." Ummm.... not helpful. If I knew how to do that, I wouldn't have been there.

So, this time around, after I explained my background, I told Roger, my instructor, "I'm sick of how I play. Teach me from scratch." He hasn't quite done that, but this time around I have lots of scales, lots of chords and lots of theory. In fact, it's a little bit of overload. But it's good. I feel like I have actual things to work on, and I really feel like I'm going to improve this time.

1 comment:

rebecca said...

this is great. I secretly wish I could just relearn the piano from scratch with better technique, better knowledge of skills, etc.