Monday, June 30, 2008

Kitchen Remodel, Part 1

Amy and I decided to take the plunge this summer and upgrade/remodel the kitchen. You know, because it's so easy to do this sort of thing when you have a child under one year old and another one on the way. It was one of those things that we'd been considering for a long time and then just sort of decided to do all of a sudden.

The first part of our remodel got done this past weekend, with the help of my dad. One of the worst things about our kitchen/dining room is the lack of adequate lighting. There is a ceiling fan with a light over the table, and a fluorescent light over the sink on the other side of the room, and that was it. Nothing over the cooking or food preparation areas, so that sucked. Saturday, my parents came down, and Dad helped (well, he did most of the work while his clueless son tried not to lose any fingers) install recessed lighting over the stove, sink and countertop, and then removed the existing fluorescent light over the sink. It all works thanks to him (I'd have burned the house down), and looks great! All that's left is for me to patch a small hole in the drywall where he removed a light switch. Then onto painting, hopefully before the next phase, which will be refacing the existing cabinets and getting a new countertop. If we only had color sense, we'd be in business.

Anyway, thanks to my dad for teaching me how to install electrical equipment without killing myself or burning the house down!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

While there are some electrical things that I do around the house, I tend to let a pro do others. I'm not big on electrocution, myself. I'm also one of those people who survived childhood after sticking wires in a socket to see "what would happen".

Joann said...

Can I just have your dad come over to our house- kind of like a rent-a-dad situation? :) I laughed when you said you were just trying not to lose fingers.

You probably don't know what to do with all that lighting. Now you'll really have to keep the floor clean, because you can see it now. That and bambina will be crawling all over the place, if she isn't already.

Bald Man Tom said...

redbeard -

I was all set to let an electrician handle it. When I told my dad about it, he said "Eh, we can do it ourselves, lemme know when you want to do it, " and that was that.

joann -

Sorry, Dad's not for rent :) I bet Jay can do electrician work, though... Maybe? :)

Bambina isn't crawling yet. She's somewhat thinking, sort of, about rolling over. We haven't caught it on tape yet, though...

Darrin said...

ROCK ON!!! Glad to hear that the house is still standing and that it all looks good. If you need help with painting, taping or whatever, lemme know!

Anonymous said...

Wow . . . you guys must have been inspired by that Lowe's commercial (or was it Home Depot?). The gist of it:

Make something timeless out of your three-day weekend.

Congratulations!