Saturday, December 23, 2006

The Potato Flip Diary #4

The Quest For the Perfect Flip

Good heavens, today sucked.

The Players

The Pan7" cast iron skillet, well seasoned(???)
The IngredientsRusset potato (~7 oz peeled and shredded)
White onion, ~2 oz
Pepperoni ~1 oz
Salt and pepper
Shredded cheese (~1 oz)
The FatVegetable oil, ~ 1 tsp

The Plan

The plan was to saute the onions in a small amount of oil, add to the potatoes and pepperoni mixture, then add the remaining oil to the pan, add the potato mixture and fry 5-6 minutes per side, flipping in the middle, then cover with shredded cheese and bake in a 350 degree oven until the cheese melts.

The Results

Everything went OK until the potato mixture hit the pan. I formed the mass into shape without a lot of pressing down to flatten, which I thought might have been part of my previous problems. Evidently that wasn't it, as the potatoes stuck so hard I actually had to move the potatoes to another skillet to finish cooking.

The Verdict

On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being hash browns and 10 being the "perfect flip," this experiment ranks about -10.

Lessons Learned

Today was awful. I had thought after last time that my pan wasn't seasoned enough, so I made sure that after last time, I greased it properly while still warm, something any number of sites tell me to do. It didn't seem to do anything. This was the worst stick of them all. I'm going to reseason the pan tonight, but I'm not sure if I'll ever get it right. If things keep going the way they are, I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and start using regular non-stick cookware.

1 comment:

MUD said...

I too am working on the perfect potato breakfast. I use 1/4 inch thick slices and cook them in the microwave and then fry them with some oil & butter. I am nearing the perfect touch but would like to do hash browns. Have you ever soaked them and then cooked them? I'm pretty sure you would have to dry them a lot. Do you let your cast iron pan get hot enough to smoke prior to using it? Never wash it in the dish washer. You can use a little water but never wash ther seasoning out of the metal pan. Dennis Petty aka,
ridingwithmud.blogspot.com