Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Bah, Humbug!

Since the Christmas season began in August this year (just check the time the decorations came out in the stores!) I thought I was doing good and got 90% of our Christmas cards done and a gift for our Goddaughter bought and wrapped to send to California by December 5th. I walked to the post office this morning and guess what- they are out of Christmas stamps!!! The postal worker was very rude when I commented that they were out the last time I stopped by in November. He responded in a manner of – “Lady they all ship the same get over it.” I know they all ship the same but I am the consumer and you make something I want to buy so have your holiday stamps in stock during the holiday season! Why do I want snowflake stamps in July?

Another post office grumble- Since I was steaming about the stamps I did not really pay attention to the cost of my shipment to CA. I am frugal- I admit it proudly. So when the smart-ass postal worker asked when I need my package to arrive I told him by December 25th so nothing fancy (no special delivery, no signature required, no insurance etc.) Well it is going parcel post, which is fine with me. Well sending it parcel post is based on weight. If I sent it by priority mail (2-3 days) it is a flat rate of $4.05 Since I did not check the cost I ended up paying an extra $2.61 for slower service!

Another seasonal grumble. I was in JC Penney’s over the weekend. Shopping for birthdays (3 in December), a wedding (Dec 31st) and Christmas. I stood in line for 20 minutes to check out and when you ask for a box they tell you that they are out. Again- it is the busiest shopping season of the year. They should know folks are going to ask for boxes to wrap their gifts, PLAN AHEAD- order extra.

I hope the holiday season gets better than this.

No comments: