Saturday, December 16, 2006

The Potato Flip Diary #3

The Quest For the Perfect Flip

Well, I've had better attempts.

The Players

The Pan7" cast iron skillet, well seasoned
The IngredientsRed pototoes (~7 oz peeled and shredded)
White onion, ~2 oz
Pepperoni ~1 oz
Salt and pepper
Shredded cheese (~1 oz)
The FatButter, < 1 tsp
Vegetable oil, < 1 tsp

The Plan

The plan today was to sautee the onions over medium heat in the butter, then combine everything except the cheese and cook the flip over the same medium heat, this time in the vegetable oil. I extended the cooking time to ~8 minutes per side to get the nice GBD I wanted, before a quick trip to a 350 degree oven long enough to melt the cheese.

The Results

Failed. Miserably. The potatoes were so stuck to the bottom of the skillet that there was no way the mass could be flipped.

The Verdict

On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being hash browns and 10 being the "perfect flip," this experiment ranks: 1.

Lessons Learned

So, I had hash browns today. Good thing I like them :) I'm not completely sure where I went wrong this morning, though I think it may have been a combination of using butter and lowering the stove top. It could also have been the pan, it may not have been as well seasoned as it should have been. Next time, I bump the heat back up to medium high, though I'll give the split fat one more try. I'll also make double-dog sure that the pan is nice and slick before I try this again.

No comments: