Saturday, August 01, 2009

Surprise, surprise...

Sometimes, life is full of surprises. Ever since Amy moved into our house back in 2002, there's been a bare spot in our front yard. Not being much in the way of a landscaper, I've pretty much ignored it, but today, since we were already doing outdoor chores, I decided to see if I could figure out what was happening. Our neighbors used to have a huge bare spot in their back yard, and when they dug the spot up they found a huge, 4'x8' piece of plywood, probably left over from when the development was.... ummmm.... developed back in the late '60s and early 70's. I figured our story would be much the same, so I pulled out the spade and started digging. I immediately hit something very, very solid, and heard a sound like metal on rock. I moved out a bit to try to find the edge, figuring I just found a large rock slab. Imagine my surprise when I peeled back the turf and found this:

Yeah, that looks an awful lot like one of the previous owners decided to remove a flagpole, but didn't want to go to the trouble of doing it properly. So, this previous owner just hacked off the flagpole as close to the concrete block as possible and filled over it. Clever! Not.

So, I get to figure out how to remove a huge hunk of concrete from the front yard. The upside is that I think I might get to learn how to use a jackhammer :)

4 comments:

Darrin said...

a jackhammer? oh dear.

Your story compares to when my sister was fixing up her property in Urbana. It backed up to a field. There was a bunch of bruch and whatnot. We cleared that out onlyto find 10 or so fence posts. Seems that when they developed everything, they just ran the fence over with the bull dozer and said 'yeah, that looks good'.

Mike H said...

If you want to do it the old fashion way I have a sledge hammer. No as much fun but free.

Anonymous said...

Think of the exercise you'll get, Tom!

redbeard's wife said...

At our old house we had an old flagpole in the backyard. We put our garden back there. Two rectangular plots, one on each side of the flagpole.

Of course, Mike's Grandpa had to ask, "Who'd you bury back there?"