Monday, June 04, 2007

Longer Commute

Yeah, my commute just went from about 10 minutes, one way, to somewhat over an hour, one way. Why, you might ask? Well, have a look at my new ride, pictured to the left.

Yep, that's right. I'm walking to work now. I'm doing it for a few reasons. First, it just isn't that far. The walking commute is somewhere in the 3.5 to 4 mile range, so it's not insurmountably far. Second, I really, really need the exercise. Third, well, it's cheaper than an electric car and fuel is well up over $3 per gallon.

We'll see how long this lasts, I'm hoping to keep it up until the weather turns nasty...

UPDATE: I brought along our Garmin eTrex Legend this morning, as it has a trip odometer, and the route I take comes out at 4.5 miles!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha! It works until you have to walk home in 90+ degree heat.

Good luck, tho, you'll get more exercise in going to work than I do.

Bald Man Tom said...

Actually, I'm fairly certain it won't be too bad. Most of the walk is shaded, so it'll be somewhat cooler. Also, I'm carrying a water bottle with me, which will be filled before leaving with nice, cold water, so that'll help, too.

Anonymous said...

This is very smart of you. Saving on the gas plus helping your health by getting good exercise. If the weather is nasty on a day that Amy is working you can also catch a ride home with her.

Joann said...

impressive.

Anonymous said...

Ugh, 4.5 miles! I only have to walk about a block to work so I don’t get that much exercise out of it but it does save on gas. Just make sure to check the weather reports for that pesky rain! Good luck and just keep putting one foot in front of the other! : )

Bald Man Tom said...

flip -

Hee hee hee :) You had Amy singing songs all morning...

Rattus Peregrinus said...

Wow - good for you Tom!!!

You're an inspiration to couch-potatoes everywhere.