Saturday, July 15, 2006

Trip to Canal Park

An open letter to my beloved Akron Aeros:

To whom it may concern,

One of the great joys of my summer for the last ten years is enjoying Aeros baseball at Canal Park. The Aeros and the teams of the Eastern League provide a glimpse into the future of my favorite pasttime at a reasonable enough price that I can see several games per year. Add to that the fact that Canal Park is one of the most beautiful fields in minor league baseball, and every trip to see my beloved Aeros is a treasured experience, win or lose.

Now, one of the more important pieces of the whole baseball experience is the traditional "eating of the hotdogs". Hotdog consumption is deep seated in the traditions of our national pasttime, and is not something to be taken lightly. There is a correct way to consume the traditional hotdog: 1) slather as much brown mustard (never yellow) as the bun can hold over said hotdog, 2) pile on enough onions to hold the Canadians at bay, 3) eat and blow mustard/onion breath on your wife until she beats you with your own mitt. This is something that my father taught me, and, if I have a son of my own, I'll pass on to him. To my great shock and dismay, however, Canal Park is no longer providing fresh onions for condiments! The blasphemy! The heresy! The... the... ignominy! And to make matters worse, the onions have been replaced by some insipid concoction called Heinz (R) Chopped Onions. Oh, the humanity!

In all seriousness, even though my game got rained out, I enjoyed my trip to Canal Park. I don't get to see the Aeros as often as I used to since I moved to Columbus (against my will, I assure you, and I won't deign to root for the Clippers), but I still fondly follow the progress of my favorite team. Keep up the good work with the park and the team, and bring back the onions!

You'll of course remember my opinion on the subject of baseball food.

Oh yeah, the game itself got rained out. Bummer...

No comments: