Saturday, January 16, 2010

My Personal Insomnia Cure

Meet Bear. He lives in a big, blue house with his friends. Bear is Poet's current fave in the realm of DVD watching. Every night after dinner, she marches into the living room, points at the TV, cocks her head like a sad little puppy, and says "Bear?" Only you know it isn't a question, no sirree, it's a demand. Well, more like a threat: Play Bear for me, or you won't know a moment's peace for the rest of the night. But I digress. This post isn't about Poet, it's about Bear, and his effect on me.

Our routine, once Bear has been demanded, is for me to sit in my seat and start the DVD, then Poet jumps up in my lap while Happy dances in front of the TV. I recline the chair, I hit the play button on the remote... and I'm out. I have no idea why, but for whatever reason, I conk within two minutes of the video starting. No, it's not the chair, or the position, because I sit in the chair often, and even frequently recline. It's Bear. He's magic, I tell you. I've slept through an entire three episode event before, even with Poet getting bored and jumping down, and the kids playing noisily nearby. It's kinda weird, but it's almost worth me buying a TV/DVD combo for the bedroom and putting the darned thing on continual play overnight. Almost, but I don't think Amy would approve...

7 comments:

Amelia said...

AHH- I am already singing the songs all day long.

Darrin said...

Heh ... sounds like a plan. Just make sure the DVD player goes in YOUR bedroom, not the kiddies. DVD in kiddies bedroom = bad news.

Judy said...

I think you need to by that DVD for your Mother-In-Law. You know she never sleeps.

Bald Man Tom said...

Judy -

Maybe I will. Maybe I will.... :)

Anonymous said...

I second Darrin's advice. TV is bad, if not contained.

Bald Man Tom said...

Darrin and Maryann -

No worries. I have no intention of electronic equipment more elaborate than a clock/radio going in the kids room...

Redbeard's Wife said...

We never watched the show, but my mother-in-law once bought Kathryn a Big Blue House playset that Kathryn LOVED.

However, she eventually outgrew it, and we "donated" it to the toy bin where the kids took music classes. If I still had it, I'd ship it overnight for you ;-)

p.s.--I always loved putting the moon above the house.