Thursday, February 11, 2010

Tech Company Without the Geeks

Working for a tech company, one should reasonably expect to be surrounded by some small amount of geekdom. Today at work, a few of us were talking about a particularly troublesome project, and I said, "Look, it's not like it's Kobayashi Maru or anything." My co-workers looked at me like I'd grown a second navel in my right cheek. Neither of them had any idea what I was talking about. A couple of hours later, the boss came in and I asked him, "If I said the phrase 'Kobayashi Maru' to you, you'd know what I'm talking about, right?" Nope.

Sigh...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tom, that is so not fair.

Bald Man Tom said...

mtlawson -

TELL ME ABOUT IT!!! I mean, I wouldn't expect that reference to be completely widespread, but I would have expected at least one of them to have seen ST at some point...

Darrin said...

Tom... for what it's worth... I had no idea what you were talking about either. If you say Kobayashi to me, I think about some Japanese dude who can scarf down 65 hot dogs in 10 minutes.