Wednesday, July 21, 2010

What's the Bald Man Been Up To?

You might have noticed that I really don't talk much about work online. I just think that things can get a little... weird. Well, today, I'm going to go ahead and ignore that, because what I've been working on has been so cool, I really want to share.

I work for a small company called Brand Thunder. We make customized themes for the Firefox and Internet Explorer web browsers. Recently, we completed a project that will not only change the way we create our Firefox themes, it also provides benefits to people who use and develop Personas for Firefox. Original Personas have one background image which is anchored top-right in the browser and cannot repeat. With Personas Interactive, a Persona designer can use multiple images which can be anchored left, right or center, and can be repeated. I think that this creates more interesting experiences for you, the users. With original Personas, designers were required to submit their Personas to Mozilla to be hosted so that persona previewing could be enabled. With Personas Interactive, anyone can host a Personas gallery and grant permission for sites to allow persona previewing, which gives the designer more flexibility, and you the users more places to go to find personas (once this catches on). There's more but you can read more about it at the Personas Interactive website, or on the blog of our Firefox developer here, here, here and here. It's pretty heady stuff, mostly aimed at personas developers, but if you're interested in how it's done and want to give it a go yourself, have a read. If all you want to do is see examples of how things work, I have a very small gallery put together over at my Personas site. Fair warning, I'm no artist, seeing what I've done may make your eyes bleed.

I hope you give our stuff a try. Another fair warning: Brand Thunder's primary revenue source is via our search partners, Bing and Ask. When you install Personas Interactive, Bing Search will be set as the default search engine. Please give Bing a try. It'll help feed the kids...

1 comment:

Ben said...

I would like you let you know that I uninstalled your add-on because it forced me to use Bing. The reason I am using Firefox in the first place is that I want to avoid Microsoft software. I am aware of the option to toggle the automatic Bing function off in settings, but I will not be putting up with this bullshit. Microsoft sponsorship is not the way to go.