Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Musings

The days go slowly, but the years pass quickly...

Today was one of those "little big days" in our household. Bambina has, despite our best efforts, continued to grow, and we realized that she had gotten too big for her bucket car seat. Last night we installed her "big girl" car seats in our cars, rear facing for another month or so, and this morning was her first ride. Between the new seats, her first teeth, and her imminent first unassisted steps, I find myself in a rather pensive mood.

Wasn't it just a few hours ago that I looked in the mirror and saw myself holding a little 7 lb 3 oz version of Bambina, moments after her birth?

Wasn't it just a few days ago that I looked in the mirror and saw myself dressed in a tux, with Amy standing beside me dressed in her wedding gown?

Wasn't it just last week that I looked in the mirror, and I didn't have the grey flecks in my beard? That I was living in NE OH with Xabu and playing poker with him, Kirk, Ben, Ted and a host of other guys?

Wasn't just two weeks ago that I looked in the mirror and my hair had only started its slow recession, and I was running around UD with the likes of Dave, Stoner, Redbeard, Don, and Jeem?

Wasn't it just a few days before that when I looked in the mirror and I had a full head of blond hair, wasn't so "big boned," and hung out with Shawn, Jim, Ken and Cooper?

The days go slowly, but the years pass quickly...

Will it be tomorrow that I look in the mirror, and I'll notice my beard a little more gray, and see both of our kids running around the room behind me?

Will it be next week that I look in the mirror, and I'll notice the crow's feet gaining ever more a foothold, and watch as the kids get ready to head off for school?

Will it be the following week that I look in the mirror, and I'll see that my beard is nearly completely grey, that I'm no longer standing as tall, and the kids are fighting over who gets to take the car to college?

Will it be next month that I look in the mirror, and I'll see that my back is bent, my face heavily lined, and watch as Bambina and Bambino come through the door bringing our grandkids for a visit?

The days go slowly, but the years pass quickly...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

In addition to the "full head of blond hair" you should also mention the blond afro. (I'm still looking for the picture, maybe Jim has it).

Yes the years pass quickly, I can hardly believe that Fern and I just celebrated our 17th anniversary this past Sunday.

It does seem just like yesterday you singing like Elvis in our Youth group production of Joseph.

So enjoy each moment of every day.

--ken

Bald Man Tom said...

bro -

Afro? What afro? :P

And congrats on your anniversary. It's somehow both weird and unsurprising that you've known each other over half your lives now...

Anonymous said...

...I echo the sentiment of enjoying every moment of every day...The best advice I ever received regarding the passing of years is to never regret growing older as it is a privilege denied to many. There are so many wonderful things happening in both our families...may you find as much joy in the changes as I am.

rebecca said...

this is such a nice post. it has me choked up. thanks for sharing!

Joann said...

We all decided long ago that we are never going to get old. Don't you remember that? If you feel old, then choke choke, I'll feel old. At least I'll always be younger than you. Nani Nani Boo Boo. :)