Tuesday, July 31, 2007

I'm Back

I've just got back from a long weekend spent with my friend, Rattus, and his friend, Aaron at the Abbey of Gethsemani in rural Kentucky. I'm still digesting everything, but suffice to say that it was wonderful. Among the many things I've learned are the following little nuggets (in no particular order):

  • 3:15A is a splendid time for worship, if I can go back to sleep afterward
  • I need another hiking hat
  • Sandals do not make good hiking shoes on steep, rocky, muddy, narrow paths
  • My belt is not currently optional with the pants I own
  • Tick repellant bug spray and a backpack would have been appropriate gear to have packed
  • The monks' vegetable stew left something to be desired
  • The monks' cabbage soup was good in the mouth but explosive in the belly
  • You just never know when you're going to bump into friends
  • Hanging with Jim and Joyce is a fun way to spend a couple of hours (yes Jeem and Elizabeth, THAT Jim and Joyce)
  • Rich Pinkerton is still the best organist I've ever listened to (with no disrespect intended to all the other organists I've known, met, or listened to)
  • Not talking is hard even for a confirmed introvert like me
  • Singing psalms can be a tremendously moving experience
  • I could be a monk for a week, maybe a month, perhaps a year, but I couldn't stick with it because I love and miss Amy too much
  • The Abbey of Gethsemani is a place to which I want to return
  • God has a way of making his points...
  • ... even if I don't understand them yet...

More later, once I've digested things a bit more.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back. Glad to hear that you had a good time. I'm not sure it is something that I could do.

A couple of responses to your list of items.

3:15AM - you'll be seeing a lot more of that once the baby comes (welcome to the sleepless dads club)

Sandals - what were you thinking. Oh that's right you were never a boy scout. Just a reminder sandals are NEVER for hiking. That is why they make HIKING BOOTS.

Cabbage is always good going in, but bad coming out.

And yes Rich is one of the best organists I've had the pleasure of knowing. We saw him this best June when we were in Pgh visiting family. Still the same old Rich (even after 20 years).

--ken

Darrin said...

I will re-iterate what Ken said. Sandals are no good for hiking. You've done enough geocaches out in the middle of nowhere that you should have figured that out.

Also, backpacks are good for hiking. You needs a place for your water and your energy bars.

Glad to hear that you had a good time down there. Look forward to hearing some more tales / reminiscececsces (I can't spell) of your trip.

Anonymous said...

If you're going for a backpack, check out the hydrating packs that Camelback puts out. We have a Rim Runner, which is great for an all day dayhike. (Just when are you guys coming down to go to Cincinnati Nature Center, anyway?)

As for the 3:15 AM club, I'm glad that my three have allowed me to graduate from that club.

Rattus Peregrinus said...

3:15 am is a great time to worship.

And I'm glad the only light was the presence candle, so I didn't distract anyone while nodding off...I mean...PRAYING!

Joann said...

Aside from hurting feet and the bugs, it sounds like you had a great experience. Who knew that monastic life is so rough and tumble? Oh and the praying in the middle of the night- sounds like a little bit of torture. I see the point of it, though... I think.

Anonymous said...

We agree that Jim and Joyce are great to hang out with for a few hours. :)

While wearing sandals recently, I took a path from a "scenic overlook" to a higher point to get a better view. Had I known the path wasn't really meant for the casual walker, I would not have done it in sandals. But I would have missed the lovely view of the Wolfs Creek Pass area.