Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Good Day at Work

I rarely talk about work on the old blog. In part, I want to keep my work life from invading my home life. Also in part, I don't want to inadvertently let slip something which will cause me or my employer grief. But today, I'm so happy, I just had to write about it.

Back when I worked for my old employer, we used to do such modern things as set yearly goals. One of said goals pertained to percentage of "valid bugs" bugs filed per project. A "valid bug" is one that, at the end of a release, is resolved or closed as fixed, deferred or unfixable due to some constraint of technology. "Invalid bugs" are bugs that are duplicates of bugs that are already filed, or bugs that aren't really bugs (working as designed), or that can't be replicated. My goal with my previous employer was 90% valid bugs, something that I never hit, largely because I wasn't the only one filing bugs against the projects on which I was working.

Now, I don't have any goal like that at my current employer, but today I was curious how we were doing on our current project. Besides me, there's one other dedicated tester, and a small handful of others that pitch in. I figured that we'd be somewhere in the 75-80% valid range on our bugs, but to my great delight, we are currently at 87%! That's slightly better than the projects I'd been on with the previous employer, which typically hung around 80-85%. So today, I have been a happy, happy boy.

2 comments:

Joann said...

Great work Tom! I am glad you are doing better than you expected.

Darrin said...

Yay Tom! You da man! Keep it up!

( Dispariging remarks about my current employer withheld :-P )