Thursday, January 18, 2007

Ummmm... Ew?

Yuck!We realized almost immediately after we got married that neither one of us enjoyed a particularly wide variety of foods. So, the past few years, we have had "foods of the year" and have learned to like foods such as tomatoes, fish, shrimp, and green beans. Yeah, I know, we're really wild and crazy with our new foods, aren't we? Well, we still haven't chosen a new food this year, so when Amelia was out looking for a veggie for dinner tonight, she chose something new. Brussels sprouts.

I don't think we'll be trying that particular experiment again any time soon...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even I the vegetable lover, HATE, brussel sprouts. Nasty little buggers.

Darrin said...

Aw, c'mon you spoil sports! Cover anything in enough cheese and itis good. :)

MUD said...

Most people overcook the poor little brussel sprouts and they taste like mushy sulfur. Steam them lightly and never too long. A little butter and seasoning and they are delicious.
Have you tried zuccini? I take two strips of bacon and crisp them in a microwave dish. I break them up and add the zucinni cut up into pieces. A little salt and pepper and a light cooking. Best chow on earth. I will admit that I haven't developed a taste for my mother's favorite, fried green tomatoes. Or the favorite meal at school. The "dreaded breaded tomatoes" Dennis

Bald Man Tom said...

Well, we didn't buy fresh, which may have been part of the problem. We bought frozen, smothered in butter sauce. Nasty doesn't cover it. And Darrin, there's not enough cheese sauce in the universe to help it. I think if we give brussel sprouts another chance, we'll either take Dennis' suggestion and lightly steam them, or maybe try them raw. I tend to dislike cooked veggies, period. In fact, the only way I'll eat broccoli is if it's raw.

Dennis, yep, zucchini was one of our "new foods" a few years ago. We sautee it in butter with summer squash (another "new food") and onions, and sometimes garlic. We've developed enough of a taste for it that we planted some in our garden last year. What we were able to pull out was pretty darned tasty.