Friday, September 22, 2006

Thanks for the memories...

To Mom and Dad and the house on 23rd Street:

Thank you for so many memories:

- for the window over the sink- how many dishes were washed and dried while watching squirrels and chipmunks.

- for my "own" room with Peach Chiffon walls

- for the hours of our summers spent playing under the grape vine

- for yummy homemade grape jelly

- for every important picture taken in front of the blue spruce

- for Christmas/Thanksgiving/Easter Dinner squeezed around the kitchen table

- for our small "bonfires" to make toasted marshmallows

- the endless games of euchre at family functions

- for the big driveway- perfect for riding our bikes or playing four square

- for the Amaryllis that bloom by the clothesline in August

- for the little garden behind the back porch- cucumbers, carrots and tomatoes

- for great neighbors- we were blessed with an extra set of "grandparents"

- for Alex and Max- two great "adopted" dogs

- for decorating Christmas cookies with flair

- for a time when it was safe to send your kids on their bikes "around the block"

- for a time when it was safe to send your kids out to play and they just needed to be home by dark

- for sitting in the front yard on a summer night with all of the neighbors coming over and shooting the breeze

- for finding 4 leaf clovers in the front yard

- for sitting under afghans made by grandma watching TV on a cold winters night

- for trips to the Open Pantry for ice cream and a newspaper

- for putting baby Jesus on the window sill so he can "arrive" in the nativity manger on Christmas day

- for the assigned seats at the dinner table

- for the little red cup that I used at each meal

- for all the memories - thank you. You were the house of my childhood

- for mom and dad- thank you for a great childhood. I hope you enjoy your new home. Looking forward to making new memories in your new home.

3 comments:

rebecca said...

goodness...i just got all choked up! here's to good memories!

Anonymous said...

Okay now that you have made me cry I’ll add my two cents...

- for all the wonderful memories from my own Bridesmaid purple room that Grandpa built with the watch your head ceilings and great built-in draws.

- for all the red birthday cakes, whole and in pieces, with the yummy icing

- for the swing set in the back yard, doing flips and seeing how long you can hang upside down

- for hunting Easter eggs inside the house and trying to be the first to find the baskets

- for being there for me when I did stupid things like touching a hot lawn mower, falling off the swing set and falling off Amelia’s bike that I should not have been riding!

- for the swing Dad hung from the tree in the backyard and spinning on it till I got dizzy

- for the homemade sandbox that was the temporary home of the turtle we fond outside

- for hanging sheets out to dry on the cloths line by the lilac bush

- for letting me move out and back in; move out and back in; and move out again! :)

Thanks for all the wonderful and loving memories and great childhood Mom and Dad! I can’t wait to accumulate 30+ years of new memories in your new home!

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy and Julie!!!
I just loved this but Amy, I don't cry easy but I sure did tear up. You are both wonderful daughters and I love you alot. Make knew memories here.
Mom