Wednesday, May 16, 2007

I Love Baseball

If I haven't said so before, let me say it now: I love baseball.

On last night's news, the sports reporter mentioned that one of my all-time favorite baseball players, Jim Thome, would be playing a few rehab games in town with the visting Charlotte Knights against the Clippers, so Amy and I decided to catch tonight's game. He didn't hit any of his trademark rain-maker homers, but it's always fun watching him at the plate.

But tonight was more than just a chance to watch a favorite player, it was a chance to just enjoy Baseball. I haven't yet developed an attachment to the Clippers, though now that they're no longer affiliated with the Pinstriped Pigheads, I'm no longer averse to rooting for them. And I have no particular like or dislike for the Knights. So tonight was just Baseball for the sake of Baseball, and that's a beautiful thing. I know that some people out there find it boring, confusing, too slow, whatever. I wish I could let you experience Baseball through my senses and background. For me, there's just something right about sitting in the crowd, watching a good pitcher and a good hitter in a battle of wits and talent, watching a shortstop and second baseman execute acrobatic maneuvers to turn a double play, watching a center fielder run down a hard liner and save the inning with a sliding catch, watching the power hitter hit a shot that won't land until next Tuesday. It's all well and good when I watch my favorite teams play, but sometimes it's even more fulfilling when I'm not emotionally invested in either team, because I can enjoy the game completely, revelling in great plays and bruising offense without regard to who is winning or losing. It's times like tonight when I remember just what I love about Baseball.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I, too, love baseball for baseball's sake. I've grown attached to the Padres, but I grew up on the Clippers. Glad to hear they've changed their major league attachements. I love going to a game when I visit a city with a team. But I'm going to have to start over, since most of the stadiums (stadia?) I've been to have been replaced (Busch and Riverfront come to mind). Play ball!

Darrin said...

I think that it is amusing that I've lived in Columbus for nearly 15 years now and have never been to a Clippers game. Which is sad because I have dreams about 'dime-a-dog' night. Mmmmmmmmm... dime a dog.

While baseball isn't my flavor of choice, I enjoy college football the same way. Yeah, I'm a total Buckeye fan, but I also enjoy just watching any ol' team whose playing. If it's the beginning of the game, I root for the first touchdown. If it's the middle of the game, I root for the underdog. If it's the end of the game, I root for the comeback... or a complete slaughter. There are other scenarios but you get the idea. I just like watching people play for the sake of playing and usually as a team, unlike alot of pro sports where it is all about the 'I' (Well, for some at least. There are admittedly some who actually care about working as a team and not what arm-pump or dance the are going to do after a touchdown or clutch three-pointer.)

Bald Man Tom said...

anonymous,

Ahh, the Padres! Another team that I could get into loving. Probably not as much as the Indians, but they strike me as much the same sort of up-and-down, make you cry as often as they make you cheer kind of team. I caught a game out at Qualcomm stadium a few years back, but Petco looks beautiful (at least on TV) and I'd love to catch another game next time I'm out that way.

darrin,

Your last few sentences pretty much sum up why I'm such a big fan of Jim Thome. Right as the Indians were heading into their upswing, they brought in a veteran third baseman by the name of Matt Williams. Now, Thome had been playing third for a few years with the Indians and could have thrown a tantrum about the brass bringing in someone to replace him. But instead, he said, "OK, if you think that's for the best, I'll do whatever you need me to do." The Indians moved him over to first base, and the rest has been history. He strikes me as a genuinely selfless guy, someone who loves the game, who would probably play the game for a case of beer. You gotta admire a guy like that.

Rattus Peregrinus said...

Dang. I'm not a baseball fan or much of a sports fan in general, but your description made me nostalgic.

And “dime a dog night”? YES!!!

Except, what does it cost to get in and how much is the beer?

BTW - Beginning this fall I may be going to school in Columbus during the week (& returning home on weekends) - so maybe we can catch a game?

Bald Man Tom said...

rattus,

In order of your commentary:
'dime a dog night' - if they're gonna have one, it'll be on a Monday, though not every Monday, maybe 4-5 times a season
'cost to get in' - most nights it's $8 for general admission, which is good enough for me, though often they'll have a b1g1 promo, or '$5 and sit anywhere' promo (though never on 'dime a dog night'
'beer prices' - ummm.... yeah, major league prices
'school in Columbus' - WOOT! keep us apprised, there's a home cooked meal waiting for you whenever you get sick of dorm food
'catch a game' - love to (you too darrin)...